What if we told you that getting healthy could be as simple as moving more? Getting up from your desk for a quick walk, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or parking further than you normally would at the grocery store could all be small things you could implement to really improve your health! All it takes is just a little more effort than usual.
Move more during the month of April and get Healthy For Good™ with the American Heart Association. The Healthy For Good movement is designed to inspire all Americans to live healthier lives and create lasting change. It focuses on the simple idea that making small, simple changes today can create a difference for generations to come. The approach is simple: Eat smart. Add color. Move more. Be well.
On Wednesday, April 4th, we’re kicking off Move More Month with More More Day. Incorporate a walk into your day on April 4th and then incorporate it into your life daily! The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise. That’s 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week! If you don’t want to sweat the numbers, just move more. Being physically active is important to prevent heart disease and stroke, the nation’s No. 1 and No. 5 killers. If you’re looking for some ideas to get moving on April 4th why not try the following:
- Have a walking meeting at work. Ditch your desks and enjoy the fresh air.
- Plan a dance party with the family before a healthy dinner – it will be great bonding time and exercise!
- Meet up with your friends for a yoga class or hop online and find a video you can do at home.
- Create some healthy competition by challenging friends or family to get more steps in than you on April 4th.
Fitness and health journeys can often become overwhelming and frustrating, but they don’t have to be. People are tired of the crazy diet fads, miracle exercise machines, fancy juicers, and expensive workout outfits so take a simpler approach. Eat smart. Add color. Move more. Be well. This mantra breaks down the essential principles of real health – eating healthy, including adding more colorful fruits and veggies; being more physically active; and creating an overall healthy lifestyle including sleep, mindfulness, stress management, mental health, social connection and more.
For tips to help you move more in April and year-round, join Healthy For Good at heart.org/MoveMore.
Social media messaging:
- Move more! Americans are spending more time sitting – at work, school or in front of a screen – than ever before. Join us for National MOVE MORE Day on April 4 and visit heart.org/healthyforgood for more tips. #LifeIsWhyNYC
- This April, commit to move more and get healthy! Celebrate National MOVE MORE Month, and National MOVE MORE Day on April 4 and visit heart.org/healthyforgood for more information on improving your health. #LifeIsWhyNYC
- Only about 22 percent of American adults meet the federal physical activity recommendations for aerobic and strengthening activity. Join us for National MOVE MORE Day on April 4 and visit heart.org/healthyforgood for more tips on how to get moving! #LifeIsWhyNYC
- Today is National MOVE MORE Day! Learn more and find tips: heart.org/healthyforgood #LifeisWhyNYC
- Every hour of regular exercise can add about two hours to your life expectancy! Celebrate National MOVE MORE Day on April 4 and get more tips at heart.org/healthyforgood #LifeisWhyNYC